Saturday 5 November 2011

roasted whole red snapper


The past week has been a bit of an anxiety-racked mess.  The first semester students had their second round of exams, which meant Leah was studying more than usual, even, and with a panicked intensity that gave us both shortness of breath and some heart palpitations.  After her day was finished on Friday, we split a bottle of the wine we always buy at home - I've been very homesick this week, so this was nice- and watched stand up comedy clips until we passed out, Leah grateful for a break (and me just because I'm the best sleeper ever).   This professional school thing is pretty, like, hard, I guess.  I thought I would cook something celebratory for her, so I made this whole fish (red snapper with ginger, garlic, cilantro, hot peppers, green onions and lime) in our toaster oven.  Cooking animals whole means it's special, right? :
isn't it creepy? 
I've been using that  ginger/garlic/scotch bonnet combination to season most everything I've been making the past few days.


In the early evening, we met up with some friends at "The Strip" (a row of bars along Timothy Beach)  for a bonfire party, and we got there just as the sun was starting to set.


glory!

I'm not sure if it's because we're so close to the equator here or what, but dusk lasts all of like, five minutes. The sun goes down, amazingly gorgeous - and then, pretty suddenly, it's night-time dark. This picture was taken about five minutes after the first one: 


And some pictorial highlights of my week:



Hello, chick, chick, chicken!
scary wasps' nest under the trim of the house. There are eight (!!!) more of these things around.  
Caroline and I were wearing matching outfits! We were both way too excited about it.

3 comments:

  1. How can you eat something when it's looking at you??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just learned that I can comment on these! I'm glad you both got some Wine-Time! Your animal photos are great(of both living and non-living subjects(human-animals included)). Love from B&H-

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two! E-mail me your address? It's letter-writing time. xo meister (meister@thenervouscook.com)

    ReplyDelete