Wednesday 5 October 2011

superficial digital flexors and brownies

This afternoon I helped Leah and her lab partner, Katie, study for their first big anatomy test. The anatomy lab is this giant, sterile-looking room with metal desks and plastered animal skeletons (did you know that all four-legged animal skeletons look like dinosaurs? they do). It stinks of formaldehyde and sanitizing solution in there, and it was really busy - there had to be like a hundred white-coated students cramming for the exam, buzzing around their preservative-dripping, peeled-apart dogs.  I think to be sensitive to me, we stayed away from the stumpy carcasses (the dissected dogs have their legs removed for easier storage)  and looked at a horse skeleton.  I had a stack of prepared note cards and was quizzing Leah and Katie on muscle attachments - each card took a few minutes because they had to go back and forth with the "are you sure?" and the "lemme check the book" and then the "ohhh, the supracondylar crest! i thought it was the distal palmar epicondyle tubercle!" and etc. It seems like an amazing amount of information and I admire them and wish them luck, but I didn't stay long because I was a rare combination of too grossed out and too bored.
articulated skeleton of a horse

So I waited for the repulsion to subside and then I made these brownies - I think my greatest toaster-oven-baking success so far. I've been substituting rum for vanilla extract in all of these recipes, by the way, because the rum here is like $5.  I also think adding the teeniest bit of cinnamon to cocoa-based things makes it taste chocolatier, like how instant espresso powder is sometimes called for in a chocolate recipe (but I just...I just can't buy instant espresso powder).


brownies in our cheeks make us strong and happy


4 comments:

  1. the rum is $5, plus the bathtub vanilla they sell here makes everything taste like bad breath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get some vanilla beans and add it to the rum! You'll have YEARS of delicious vanilla extract. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura you look wonderful but you are a little thin girl. You are just beautiful honey.

    ReplyDelete